Thursday, 11 March 2010

Football Cake Markers

I was putting these 'tools' away for safe keeping this morning and thought I should give a little shout out to the maker.... my husband, Dave, is my unofficial construction department, ideas man and delivery boy!  My method of making a football cake is to cover with white sugarpaste then indent the shapes, mark the stitching then paint.  In order to indent the proper shapes Dave made me two 'indenters' - one pentagon and one hexagon to make the truncated icosahedron shape of a football... how smart is he?


You start by indenting the pentagon on the top of the sugarpaste sphere (before it 'dries') followed by five hexagons around it.  Then inbetween each of two adjoining hexagons indent a pentagon with hexagons all around it and keep going until all the area is covered.  Make sure you get your measurements correct!

5 comments:

  1. he is the best!!!!
    My husband does the same things for me. I could not do it without his help.
    I actually have to do a football cake for next Tuesday and i am going to ask my husband to make me these!
    I am so happy. I was thinking of cutting templates out of paper and cutting the shapes one by one with the knife. You way will save me soo much time. thank you for sharing.
    happy caking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I could help! Good luck with the football cake....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caroline, I too have one of these to do & will use the Wilton ball pan.

    I was wondering if you would be so kind as to share the actual dimensions of your wonderful husbands indentation tools in order to get the correct coverage.

    You are so lucky to have such a supportive partner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cakes and lovely blog! I just found you via giovanna. Looking forward to following your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks SweetThingsTO - I've just been drooling over your adorable sugar shoes - so sweet!

    ReplyDelete