Friday, 23 April 2010

My morning...

This is what my workspace looked like this morning....
As you can see I'm working on a car cake!  Specifically it's an Audi RS6 Avant.

The cake needed to be 12" x 4.6" in size so, using my trusty multiway square tin, I fixed the inserts to give me a 12" x 5" cake and calculated how much mixture I would need.... then I don't know what happened... perhaps I was thinking about the lovely weather outside and how nice it would be to go for a walk, perhaps I was contemplating how excessively big the pig was on my Barnyard cake, anyway, whatever it was I ended up baking the cake in the OTHER section of the tin so instead of being 5" wide it was 7" wide and way too shallow!  Not to worry, I made another shallow 5" cake and all was saved!

In the past the car cakes I've made have been from chocolate mud cake which is firm enough to sculpt but moist enough that it doesn't need a filling.  Today's cake was a madeira so I filled it with jam (I accidentally typed 'ham' here first...hmm, madeira with a ham filling...I reckon Dave would love that!) and buttercream then proceed to carve.  As you can imagine as I scuplted so the filling squirmed out over the cake board, over the knife, over me.... next time I'm cutting then filling!

The cake is currently in the fridge so the buttercream that I applied to the outside of the cake can firm up before I cover it....  Onto the next task.... cup of tea of course!

x

2 comments:

  1. That scene look SO familiar! Carved cake with "storyboard" nearby. The car is shaping up quite nicely! Hope you will share a pic of the finished version too!

    -Jenniffer
    http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the finished cake! I already looks good!

    ReplyDelete