Wednesday, 7 July 2010

Art Deco Cake

This cake was made for my friend's mum. 

My friend Rachael lives in St Albans and I live in Birmingham but we arranged to meet halfway to exchange the cake!  It is so stressful driving with a cake in the car, you always seem to find every pothole and bump in the road but it arrived safely (no need for the extra corner run outs and piping bag of royal icing!).  As part of her mum's birthday celebrations the whole family were going to the Cotswold on a cooking course so the surprise cake was presented there and the teaching chef got to see and taste my cake too and according to Rachael:

'he told me to tell you - he had not seen one that good in a long time and he loved the simplicity of it and also said it was so moist and he did not know how you did it'

What a nice comment...

The topper is based on one made by I Dream of Cake (check out their website, fabulous cakes).  I do enjoy painting, so relaxing...

12 comments:

  1. i love it! it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thanks Giovanna! I had a bit of a nightmare with the covering as I used royal icing to make the edges good and sharp but I forgot how difficult royal icing is to work with! Wasn't too bad in the end....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad? it's lovely, unique idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks cccris, my husband always says I'm too critical of my own work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous cake Caroline!! It's so beautiful and i love the sharp edges! Very elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cake is gorgeous! I love the hand-painting work you did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jenniffer. I really enjoy the painting or should I say copying other people's paintings! Not quite good enough to create my own pictures but don't all art students start by copying the masters?? Maybe one day I'll have the confidence to paint my own 'masterpieces'!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your theme - well presented and great artistry! I am aspiring cake decor myself and just trying to get outside of friends and family - please check out my work at my blog River City Treats - one of my best to date I think is Hippo, but I've only been at this for over a year now :o) Please leave your comments I would appreciate feed back from some one so good at their craft!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks sleeplessnights04, love your hippo cake - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well... I am the lucky lady who the cake was made for. I was absolutely delighted when it arrived at my birthday party and I just loved the design. I am a committed Art Deco fan and this worked so well, the colour, design, painted lady and the fans where marvellous and it kept the tight clean lines that makes AD so beautiful. Another surprise was how amazingly good it was to eat!!! Thank you so much it really was "the icing on the cake" to a lovely 60th birthday party!
    Ann Lyon

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're welcome Ann, I'm just SO GLAD you liked it!

    ReplyDelete