Tuesday, 6 July 2010

Carrot Cake Part II

As part of my ongoing quest for a fabulous carrot cake...

This recipe is from an Marks and Spencer cookbook I bought at Christmas
(I was buying books for 'Secret Santa' with my family for an early christmas dinner and thought...why should I not have something to open too?!  I was good too and didn't even look through my book until our Christmas day)

It's a really lovely book and all the recipes are shown with photos so you know exactly what it's all supposed to look like!

175ml sunflower oil
175g light muscovado sugar
3 eggs, beaten
175g carrots, peeled and grated
85g sultanas
55g walnuts, chopped
Grated rind of 1 orange
175g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp grated nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
Beat together the oil, sugar and eggs.
Stir in the grated carrots, sultanas, walnuts and orange rind.
Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and nutmeg into the bowl, mix evenly.
Spoon the mixture into an 8" round tin.
Bake for 40-45 mins until firm to the touch.
Cool in the tin for 5 minutes and turn out onto a wire tray.


Topped with cream frosting

Verdict
This one was darker in colour and flavour
Maybe a little more carrot
But I do like sultanas in cake!

This is the current favourite!

3 comments:

  1. That looks scrumptious!!!! By the looks yo umay have a winner there, but I can't wait for you to try the Planet Cake's carrot cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I like the recipe from Mich Turner. It's moist and full of stuff! I like it, hope you will too!
    I have it in my blog here http://mybakingrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/05/moist-carrot-cake.html

    By the way, I love your cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bimmer, thanks for the advice I'll check out your blog (although I think I'm going to run out of time to try this version before the wedding day!) Thanks for the compliment about my cakes too!

    ReplyDelete