Friday, 2 July 2010

The quest for carrot cake...

I'm making the wedding cake this summer for a lovely couple called Gill and Pete.  They've requested a top tier of carrot cake as this is a favourite of Gill's which is all fine but...there is a but.... 

I love my current cake flavours:

My fruit cake uses organic cider rather than brandy so it's not overpowering. 
My lemon cake is light and refreshing (and don't get me started on the lemon buttercream!). 
My vanilla sponge is like "a drop of heaven". 
And my chocolate cake "is to die for".
I have a nice carrot cake recipe but it just doesn't make me melt and relax into a sea of cakeyness (and isn't that what you want in a cake?)

So, I'm on a quest....I'm consumed by my mission.... to find the ultimate carrot cake
Recipe 1
This one is from the Marguerite Patten cook book


175g soft light brown sugar
175ml olive oil
3 large eggs
175g wholemeal self-raising flour
50g ground almonds
175g carrots, peeled and grated
85g walnuts, chopped
1 tbsp milk

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
Put the sugar in a bowl and add the oil, mix thoroughly.
Stir in the eggs.
Sift the flour into the egg mixture then stir in the rest of the ingredients.  Mix thoroughly.
Spoon the mixture into an 8" round tin.
Bake for 1 hour until firm to the touch.
Cool in the tin for 5 minutes and turn out onto a wire tray.



The verdict:
Nice!
Light in colour and texture
A bit too nutty (I think I should have chopped the nuts into smaller pieces)
Not carrotty enough perhaps?

It's a contender but with a few tweaks.... Does anyone have a good carrot cake recipe?

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I'll post it up on my blog next week, if that's not too late?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried the planet cake recipe? I haven't tried it but it looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how exciting! I'm getting hungry just thinking about it! mmmmm Cannot wait! Gill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next week would be great, thanks Victoria.

    The Cakerator - The Planet Cake recipe is next on my list!

    Gill, I hope it tastes good!

    ReplyDelete