Thursday, 2 December 2010

Peony 90th Birthday Cake

Hi all, sorry it's been while... This cake was for a lady who is going to celebrate her 90th birthday on Sunday!  Her granddaugther, Lucy, contacted me to make the birthday cake.  The brief was fruit cake, royal icing and a simple design. 

Lucy sent through the birthday party invitation and we decided to incorporate the purple-y colour and the list of relationships (I guess by the time you reach 90 you're related to lots of people!) 
And we agreed on this design:
And this is the final cake (I was actually quite pleased with how the royal icing turned out.  I don't make many royal iced cakes so I've had less practice and Lucy wanted to collect the cake a day early due to the adverse weather conditions in the UK at the moment so I couldn't do as many coats as I would have liked but I think it still looked okay!)


I am in love with the peony!  I have wanted to make a peony for ages but have never had the time so I was thrilled to make one today!  I used The Cakerator's Peony tutorial (which is fantastic - thank you!) and I think it worked really well...I  feel there will be more peonies to come!

Thanks for reading and speak soon!

8 comments:

  1. Beautifully done cake for a beautiful lady! Yes - really like your peony - those are a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephanie! She does look like such a lovely lady, I hope she has a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! That peony is just beautiful :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Perfect celebration cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, thanks SweetThingsTO! I can't wait to see the rest of the cake you taunted us with the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOW MY GOSH THAT IS A GORGEOUS CAKE! AND THE PEONY! Caroline you did a fantastic job on that Peony girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Maria - I couldn't have done it without your tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete