Monday, 28 March 2011

I like.....Rob Gillespie Photography

I came across Rob Gillespie last month.  He took the wedding photographs for the lovely Lucy and Alex last year and his photo of my Wedgwood Cake made it into Your Wedding magazine (which was very exciting for me). 

I really like his work and so thought I'd showcase his company by asking a few questions.....

Tell me a bit about your company?
I run the business with my fiancé, Sarah and we’ve been a full-time company since summer 2007. Although we do undertake other kinds of photography, weddings are our speciality. Right from the start, we offered two photographers and long coverage times as standard and that’s something we’ve maintained. We have a keep-it-simple approach to most things we do and above all else we want our clients to feel relaxed in front of the cameras.

How did you get into photography?
I’d been a ‘snapper’ for many years but started taking it a bit more seriously around 2003 when I got my first decent camera. I then did a night-school course and the rest came from that really.

What is your favourite part of your work?
Although the actual ‘shooting’ of the wedding can be an awful lot of fun, I’d have to say the initial presentation we show the couples is my favourite part. Lots of emotions.

Do you have a favourite photograph?
We’ve taken tens of thousands of images so picking one favourite is nearly impossible. Some of my own faves are probably during the receiving line – especially when it happens spontaneously rather than being orchestrated by the venue. Not so keen on the cake-cutting LOL. (hey, the cake cutting is the most important bit of the wedding!)

Do you have a favourite venue?
That’s a tricky one because we’ve seen venues big, small, cheap and expensive and of course everything inbetween so comparing them is very difficult. Purely in terms of photogenics, Ettington Park Hotel is always a lovely place to work at, but there’s so much more to a venue than how it looks. Mallory Court is gorgeous and at the other end of the scale Avoncroft Museum in Bromsgrove is just fabulous. We liked it so much we chose it for our own wedding later this year.

Are there any people or places that you would love to photograph?
It would be lovely to do a ‘couple’ photoshoot somewhere up in the Scottish Highlands. It’s a place we retreat to every year on holiday. Part of the challenge on any wedding though is working with you have an some of our favourite images were taken around the shopping streets of Dorridge! In terms of people, I can’t honestly say there’s anyone famous I have any great desire to photograph. The challenge and the interest for me is taking a couple who are perhaps a bit nervous of having their photo taken, working with them for a while and getting some great images that show their personality.

Do you have any exciting plans for the future?
We’ve just introduced a ‘Rock The Frock’ session. Although it’s not a new idea in the industry, not that many people here in the UK offer it and it’s something we’ve really enjoyed so far. It’s a great excuse for bride’s to get their dress back on for a day. There’s a couple of other things on the horizon but I can’t talk about them yet!

Which photographers do you admire?
Landscape photography is something I got into a long time before I ever shot a wedding, so I have a few heroes from that part of the industry – Joe Cornish and Ansel Adams especially. Steve McCurry’s work for National Geographic is heart-wrenching at times. In terms of wedding photographers I tend to favour those who aren’t too flashy and keep things simple – Jeff Ascough and Marcus Bell spring to mind. I’m not so keen on the ‘rockstar’ photographer mentality because at the end of the day, we’re just one part of wedding.

Thanks Rob and Sarah!


(Make sure you all check out the website too www.robgillespiephoto.co.uk)

No comments:

Post a Comment